Contact Precautions- Latex gloves, Rubber Boots, Coveralls, and Eye Protection to avoid any flood waters from getting into your eyes.
Respiratory precautions - N95 is ok in most circumstances but you may want to consider heavier duty respirator during flood clean up.
2. Gross removal - Remove everything that is unsalvageable in the home or property.
Unsalvageable Items - Remove porous contents and building materials like dry wall, particle board, most types of flooring BEFORE you start cleaning.
-Any sort of furniture - Sofas, Mattresses - that's been impacted by flood waters should be tossed out as it's not worth the effort in cleaning.
Salvageable Items - Non-porous building materials like concrete or steel can be cleaned in place so no need to remove.
3. Pressure clean - Use a pressure washing gun to clean the areas where the flood waters touched. For walls and ceilings that were not touched by flood waters, you'll want to still thoroughly clean by wiping down with disinfectant.
4. Disinfecting- Apply a broad application of antimicrobial disinfectant once everything is clean in order to remove all microbials and toxins that were in the flood waters.
5. Dry Everything - Before a professional water damage restoration company can access your home to begin the restorative drying process, you'll want to do your best to dry everything to the best of your ability. Utilizing box fans is a very affordable way to assist in the drying process if you opt not to use a professional water damage restoration company https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Fans-Box-Fans/Gray/N-5yc1vZc4lnZ1z0vjuj?storeSelection=
A moisture meter will also be helpful tool in gauging if impacted building materials are still wet or dry.
6. Mold - Because mold can start to grow in 72 hours following a flood, Continue to clean, clean, clean! Mold is readily aerosolized so it's important to clean everything from top to bottom, left to right to avoid mold growth.
7. Testing - An environmental mold assessment following the cleaning and drying process will ensure that you've eliminated any concerns regarding harmful microbials left in your home. Especially if there are children or immune compromised living in your home, we recommend professionally testing your home. Enpro Environmental and Hawaii Inspection Group on Maui are two companies that provide this service.
Please reach out to the team at Premier Restoration Hawai'i to answer any questions you may have and to provide emergency response when and if needed.
President, Premier Restoration Hawai'i
TagsFlod flood damage flood removal flood preparedness
Subscribe to Premier Restoration Hawaii's Blog